Friday, May 29, 2015

A New Entrance to the Backyard

 
We have recently redone both sides of the backyard.  Last week I showed the arbor we put in HERE.  This project is where we added a path, DIY curbing and a new planter.  Now we have the entrance to the backyard that we always wanted!
 
 
 
 
 
Here it is in March. 

After we added the arbor, we tore out about a third of the grass.
 

 
I wanted to keep the grass here so I could get the mower to the backyard.  Well, setting pavers is a lot of work.  Setting pavers in cutouts of grass is a TON of work!!  My back and hips are just now getting back to feeling normal...

We added the forms to make our own curbing.  I called around and the minimum charge for curbing was $275.  Since we only needed 20 feet, we decided it wouldn't be worth almost $15 a foot to have someone come out.  Instead, we bought boards and concrete mix and did it ourselves for $24.  And I think it looks just like the professional curbing!
 


We left the forms on for 24 hours.
 

We then added a couple of new sprinklers to the planter.


 
 
 

And lots of flowers--Rose of Sharon, Peony (already blooming!), Cosmos, Daisies, Lamb's Ear, etc. and of course a birdhouse!
 
 
 
It shouldn't take too long for the grass seed to fill in the empty spaces. 
 
 
Thanks for your visit!
 
Pam



 

I am linking to the following parties:



Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home



9 comments:

  1. Looks like it's right out of a magazine. All of your hard work has sure paid off. It looks fabulous. fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Great improvement, and my kudos for doing it yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderfully done Pam! I never would have imagined making my own curbing - such a great idea and it turned out fabulously. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful creation and transformation. I love the approach on how you made it even without the help of any construction services.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the way the path turned out! It gives a nice, organized look to the whole garden. My wife and I have a lot of plants and flowers in our garden, and I think a path would help to break up the foliage a little bit. Thanks for the overview of the process! http://www.juddsgarages.com/sol-home-improvements.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.